Submit a proposal
For further information, please contact Mrs Jen Griffiths.
Call For Papers
British Jewish Contemporary Cultures: An International Conference
26-27 March 2018, Bangor University, Wales.
Keynote Speakers: Sarah Lightman (Glasgow) and Silvia Pellicer (Zaragoza)
We invite proposals for the first international British Academy funded conference on British Jewish Contemporary Cultures. Any topic which explores the study of contemporary British Jewish culture, widely defined, is welcomed. We are particularly interested in locating British Jewish contemporary cultures in global and comparative settings, as well as in terms of imperial, postcolonial and transnational narratives. The aim of the conference is to tease out the tension between a transcultural British Jewish Studies and the specificity of the Jewish experience in Britain with increasing theoretical and methodological complexity.
We welcome proposals for panel discussions as well as individual papers of 20 minutes. Please submit a proposal using our online form of no more than 300 words by 1st December 2017.
Suggested topics include but are by no means limited to:
- Writing British Jewishness
- Images of British Jewishness in film and television
- Gender, sexuality and Jewishness in contemporary culture
- Visual images (art, cartoons, graphic novels)
- British Jews and the media
- Shifting Identities: Transcultural contexts
- Performing Jewishness
- British Jewishness and the Holocaust
- Politics and Jewishness in contemporary Britain
- Locating British Jewishness: space and place
- The Jewish Gothic
- British Jews and Israel/Palestine
- Black and British Jewish Intersections
- Brexit and Contemporary British Jewish culture
Professor Nathan Abrams (Bangor) and Dr. Ruth Gilbert (Winchester). The conference has been generously supported by the British Academy.